Toussaint C. Romain
Deputy General Counsel
Toussaint Romain is currently the Deputy General Counsel for Appalachian State University. Previously, Toussaint served as an Assistant Public Defender for the past ten (10) years, where he provided zealous legal representation to indigent clients charged with crimes like Murder, Drugs, and Robbery and as Habitual Felons. Toussaint represented thousands of individuals and he had over 50 jury trials of which he received Not-Guilty verdicts in more than 40 of those cases. Toussaint also led trainings, at the UNC School of Government, in Motions practice, factual and legal investigations, and in developing trial theories for attorneys from across the state. He was also a faculty member at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte, for nine (9) years, leading advanced undergraduate courses in Constitutional Law and Mass Incarceration. Toussaint has guest lectured at law schools across North Carolina and he has taught CLEs for the American Bar Association and several other state bar associations across the nation. In addition, Toussaint is a nationally-renowned speaker presenting on issues of Leadership, Systemic Racism & Sexism and Criminal Justice Reform to legal professionals, systems’ leaders, and corporate executives. Prior to earning his law degree in 2007, Toussaint worked for federal prosecutors, federal and state judges, large law firms, the National Institute of Justice and U.S. Senator John Edwards. Toussaint also studied at the European Court for Human Rights in Strasbourg, France. In college, Toussaint was an NCAA Division 1 Athlete and he won a Conference USA Championship at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte.
- Regent University School of Law, Juris Doctor, May 2007
- University of North Carolina, Charlotte, May 2001
- North Carolina (2008)
- North Carolina Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Watauga County Bar Association
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Chief Judge Robert J. Conrad, Jr., Federal (4th Circuit)
- The Honorable Allen S. Goldberg, State (Chicago, IL)
- The Honorable Hugh B. Lewis, State (Charlotte, NC), (Undergrad)
- North Carolina Human Relations Commission, Governor Appointee.
- Carolina Panthers (NFL), Community Partnership Advocate.
- Leadership Charlotte, Graduate; Membership Committee; Legacy Awards Selection Committee.
- John S. Leary Bar Association, Former President.
- Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute, Graduate.
- American Inn of Courts – Justice Bobbitt Chapter, Barrister
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice, Board of Governors, CLE Co-Chair; Mass Incarceration Task Force; Editorial Board.
- FBI Citizens Academy, Graduate.
- Charlotte Human Trafficking Taskforce, Member.
- Re-Entry Partnership of Mecklenburg, Former Executive Board Member.
- Racial Equity Network of North Carolina, Alumni Co-Chair.
- National Association for Public Defense – Racial Justice Committee, Member.
- YMCA Diversity & Inclusion Global Taskforce, Ambassador.
- Trinity Pawling All-Boys Boarding School, Board of Trustee.
- Anuvia Prevention and Recovery Center, Board Member.
Awards & Recognitions
- Nish Jamgotch Jr. Humanitarian Award, The Foundation for the Carolinas.
- Charlottean of the Year Award, Charlotte Magazine.
- Who’s Who in Black Charlotte, Game Changer.
- Schely R. Lyons Circle of Excellence Award, Leadership Charlotte.
- Joyce M. Plummer – Making Black History, Black Law Students Association.
- Ebbie Award, North Carolina Advocates for Justice.
- Sydnor Thompson, Jr. Community Leader Award, Mecklenburg Ministries.
- Warrior Award, National Self Care Alliance.
- The Honorable Julius S. Chambers Service Award, Charlotte Law.
- Rising Star Award, Old Dominion Bar Association.
- Jesse Owens Student-Athlete Award, Recipient.
- Higher Education
- Labor and Employment
- Sponsored Research
- Student Affairs
- University Govern