Paul A. Meggett
Paul A. Meggett serves as General Counsel at Appalachian State University. As General Counsel, Mr. Meggett supervises and directs all legal services at Appalachian. Mr. Meggett serves as a member of the Chancellor’s Cabinet and as the Ethics Liaison between Appalachian and the North Carolina State Ethics Commission. He works collaboratively with campus partners to advance Appalachian’s mission of a just and sustainable future as the premier public undergraduate institution in the state of North Carolina.
In-House Counsel Experience
UNC Health Care System, Associate General Counsel
- In-house counsel duties and responsibilities covering a wide variety of health law, compliance, self-insurance and risk management issues and transactions.
- Reviewed, drafted, and negotiated professional services and complex clinical healthcare contracts, including merger and acquisition agreements.
- Increased speed of transactions by 15%, thereby reducing client costs and improving efficiency and client satisfaction through the creation and administration of a contracts
- management system.
- Heightened budgeting accuracy by 10% while cultivating a culture of transactional regulatory compliance by guiding the annual contracts budgeting process in excess of $30
- Million annually.
- Analyzed medical malpractice legal claims and litigation for self-insurance fund, and developed strategies for successful outcomes.
- Developed and implemented system-wide policies, procedures, and programs to enhance workflow and ensure legal and regulatory compliance of healthcare and medical education activities.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Assistant University Counsel – Primary attorney resource for Health Affairs Campus.
- Extensive experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating complex corporate and clinical healthcare or clinical research contracts in aggregate volume of more than $300 million.
- Analyzed state tort claims and litigation, and developed strategies for successful outcomes.
- Developed and implemented policies, procedures, and programs to ensure legal compliance with higher education laws (including Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act,
- copyright, and export regulations); financial laws (including Gramm-Leach-Bliley and Regulation Z); and health affairs laws (including Stark and Anti-kickback Statute).
Higher Education Faculty Experience – Charlotte School of Law, Interim Dean, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor
- Expertise in contracts law and tort law.
- Developed courses on how to conduct commercial and corporate transactions.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Law, Adjunct Professor
- Instruction in the fundamentals of legal reasoning, oral and written communication and appellate advocacy.
- Legal research instruction focused on 5 specific areas: 1) state statutes, 2) federal statutes, 3) administrative regulations, 4) common law, and 5) secondary resources.
Judicial Clerkship Experience
Supreme Court of North Carolina, Law Clerk for Chief Justice Burley B. Mitchell, Jr.
- Conducted legal research on cases before the North Carolina Supreme Court.
- Engaged in chambers conference discussions of cases before the Court assigned to the Chief Justice.
- Prepared draft opinions for the Chief Justice and press summaries of opinions.
North Carolina State University
- Park Scholarship Regional Selection Committee Member — since 2001
Town of Waxhaw
- Parks, Culture & Recreation Advisory Board Member —2015 to 2018
- Chair—2017 to 2018
- Vice Chair—2015 to 2017
Charlotte Housing Authority
- Volunteer Hearing Officer — 2015 to 2018
Justice Initiatives, Inc.
- Member of Board of Directors – 2015 to 2017
- Finance Committee
Union Symphony Society, Inc.
- Member of Board of Directors — 2014 to 2015
- Co-chair, Strategic Planning Committee — 2014 to 2015
Orange Congregations in Mission
- Member of Board of Directors — 2008 to 2011
- Chair, Strategic Planning Committee — 2009 to 2011
New Hope Elementary School
- Member of Orange District Re-accreditation Team for Southern Association of Colleges And Schools Accreditation — 2009 to 2010
- Creation of Community Learning Center for at-risk students — 2009
- School Improvement Team Parent Representative — 2008 to 2011
- Member of Board of Directors – 2006 to 2009
- Personnel Committee – 2006 to 2009
North Carolina Prisoners Legal Services, Inc.
- Member of Board of Directors – 2006 to 2008
- Treasurer – 2007 to 2008
North Carolina Minority Executive Roundtable
- Cornerstone Member — since 2008
North Carolina Child Welfare Education Collaborative
- Statewide Advisory Board — Member 2003 to 2006
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Juris Doctorate
- North Carolina State University, Bachelor of Science
- North Carolina
State Bar of North Carolina
- Member of Diversity Task Force – 2008 to 2009
- Advisory Member, Demographics Subcommittee of Issues Committee – 2009
- Advisory Member, Outreach Subcommittee of Issues Committee – 2009 to 2010
North Carolina Bar Association
- Judicial Independence and Integrity Committee — 2019
- Legislative Advisory Committee — 2011 to present
- Chair — 2011 to 2015
- Led revision of Office of Governmental Affairs policies and procedures
- Led legislative strategic plan development
- Member — 2011 to present
- Law School Liaison Committee — 2016 to 2018
- Member of Board of Governors — 2008-2011
- Executive Committee, 2008, 2010
- Board Liaison to Education Section Council, 2008 to 2011
- Chair, Momentum 2010: Joint Diversity Task Force — 2006 to 2010
- Citizen Lawyer Award – 2009
- Minorities in the Profession Committee
- Co-Chair — 2006 to 2008
- Member — 2003 to 2008, 2011 to present
- Member of Bar Exam Application Project Subcommittee of the Lawyer
- Effectiveness & Quality of Life Committee — 2004 to 2006
- Young Lawyers Division Bar Examination Committee
- Co-Chair — 2003 to 2004
- Member — 1999 to 2004
- Member of Health Law Section — 1998 to 2012
- Member of Education Law Section — 1998 to 2012, 2019
North Carolina Bar Association Foundation
- Member of Board of Directors — 2008-2011
- Executive Committee, 2008, 2010
National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Member — 1999 to 2011, 2018 to present
American Health Lawyers Association
- Member — 2008 to 2011
American Bar Association
- Member — 2011 to 2018
Selected Presentations and Publications
Emerging Legal issues in College Athletics, September 2019
- CLE presentation; Watauga County Bar; Boone, NC
North Carolina Health Information Management Association Legal Reference Manual, Ninth Edition
Diversity and Inclusion in a Global Society March 2013
- MCLE presentation; American College of Healthcare Executives; Charlotte, NC
The End of the Beginning?: Healthcare Reform After National Federation of Independent Business v.
Sebelius December 2012
- CLE/MCLE presentation; Wake AHEC Health Law and Ethics Update 2012; Raleigh, NC
Diversity In The legal Profession October 2012
- CLE presentation; North Carolina Central University School of Law; Durham, NC
Diversity in Bar Leadership September 2010
- CLE presentation; North Carolina Association of Women Attorneys Annual Conference; Greensboro, NC
Health Crisis Management in the Workplace April 2010
- CLE presentation; 15th Annual National Employment Law Conference; Henderson NV
Leadership Essentials March 2009
- CLE presentation; North Carolina Bar Association Pathways to Inclusion Leadership Academy; Wake Forest University School of Law, Winston Salem, NC.
- Labor and Employment
- Laboratory School
- Real Property
- University Governance
- Utility and Energy